Posted on

cbd overdose dogs

Q: What about interactions with other medications? Any long-term effects to be concerned about?

Q: Is CBD psychoactive?

Q: What are the most common signs reported in pets after the ingestion of CBD products?

A: Products sold as “soft chews” can have an osmotic effect when large amounts of chews are ingested and pull fluid from the body into the gastrointestinal tract. In mild cases, this can lead to diarrhea and dehydration. In severe cases, hypernatremia, hyperglycemia, hyperkalemia, azotemia, and acidosis can occur. Aggressive fluid therapy, while monitoring hydration status and electrolytes in these pets, is critical.

Q: How do I treat these cases?

A: No; however, there are several possible reasons a dog who has ingested CBD may look high:

A: Most cases need no treatment, aside from symptomatic care for gastrointestinal upset if it occurs. If it’s a large dose, where the THC content might be a factor, mild sedation, urinary incontinence, hyperesthesia, and ataxia could develop, and the pet should be confined to prevent injury from misadventure. If you see significant signs that look like THC toxicity, treat the pet in front of you and provide IV fluid support, anti-nausea medication, and good nursing care as needed.

While a relaxed demeanor may be the desired reaction, a pet who seems excessively sleepy may be sensitive to their CBD product or another ingredient in the oil.

Giving your dog too much CBD oil can be the result of a miscalculated CBD dosage. It can also happen if your dog found a way to reach its favorite CBD peanut butter and cleaned out the jar or if your dog ate a whole bag of CBD dog treats.

Pet parents are becoming increasingly aware of the health benefits of CBD oil for dogs. But what are the risks of giving your dog CBD oil?

Lethargy

However, this is highly improbable in practice as it would take your dog eating an enormous amount of CBD.

Pet poisoning or toxicity is different from an overdose. Toxicity occurs when a dog ingests things that have no benefit in any dose but hold toxic potential. This poison could be a human medication, a plant in your home, marijuana products, wild mushrooms, or more.

A warning came with this study, relating to unwell pets or pets receiving medications for their ailment (because of the danger of elevated liver enzymes with exposure to CBD).

Hemp CBD oil will not kill a dog. In theory, since pet CBD products are allowed to contain less than 0.3% of THC and THC is toxic, consuming a significant amount of pet CBD oil can result in toxicity.

Testing for toxins is incredibly important for hemp based products due to its unique ability to pull out toxins from the earth. Hemp is so well known for this characteristic that is was once used by farmers near Chernobyl following the 1986 nuclear disaster.

The most potent and cost effective method. Cannanine hemp oil is great for dogs experiencing ongoing issues with mobility, a sense of calm and allergies.

While many dogs may never react to this small amount, we do find that some dogs in particular react strongly to THC. For this reason, we recommend choosing only 100% THC-free products.

#2 – Never Use CBD for Dogs That Contains THC

Because CBD has also exploded in popularity in the human market, companies have begun adding artificial and sugar free flavorings to their products in order to make them more palatable to people. Unfortunately, however, many pet owners do not realize how dangerous sugar free additives like xylitol are to their furry friends.

Because of the serious danger of xylitol, we recommend completely avoiding companies that sell any artificially flavored CBD products, even if they have a xylitol free pet version. It’s simply too easy for a product to be mislabeled.

With the explosion in the marketplace, however, many companies seeking to make a buck have introduced questionable or even dangerous products. In this article, we’ll discuss 3 ways CBD can potentially be dangerous, even lethal, to your dog:

We once tested a sample CBD product sent to us and found it contained 10x the safe level of lead!